Desktop manager bugs

Feedback regarding the public beta of Dexpot is highly appreciated in this forum.
Attila

Desktop manager bugs

Postby Attila » 17.09.2011 15:18:46

Dexpot 1.5.99 Build 1722
Win 7 x64

Installation of this version over my previous stable version completely screwed up my icon arrangements on four desktops. Would be nice if this did not happen.

The desktop manager (DM) is not working properly on my setup of 2 monitors, where the second monitor is on the left of the main. I usually keep the DM icons in the top right corner of the main monitor. With this version the DM icons disappear.

Initially the DM icons were displayed, but on the left monitor (ManagerX coordinate became negative). Trying to move the DM icons made them disappear and there seems to be no way of getting them back. (I just clicked the DM background and they just disappeared).

Looking into the .dxp file reveals that it is a mishmash of English and German - would be nice to be all English.

After much trial and error, it appears that the problem is related to the second monitor being on the left of the main. If I use Windows and move the monitor to the right, the DM icons reappear. I managed to set things up as I wanted them and moved monitor two to the left again and saved the profile. Exited Dexpot and restarted it. The DM icons appeared on the left monitor instead of the right. I am running 1024x768 and the .dxp file says that ManagerX=856 and Manager Y=6, however, the icons appear in the wrong place.

Patrick
Developer

Re: Desktop manager bugs

Postby Patrick » 17.09.2011 16:35:55

:dex:

Attila wrote:The desktop manager (DM) is not working properly on my setup of 2 monitors, where the second monitor is on the left of the main. I usually keep the DM icons in the top right corner of the main monitor. With this version the DM icons disappear.

I've been unable to reproduce the problem so far. I've set up a 1024x768 primary screen and on its left a second 1680x1050 monitor. I placed the DM at the top right of the primary monitor, tried deactivating and activating the DM, exiting and starting Dexpot, and saving and loading profiles, but the DM did not disappear. Any ideas?

Looking into the .dxp file reveals that it is a mishmash of English and German - would be nice to be all English.

Yeah, well, historic reasons: Dexpot was originally only available in German.

Attila

Postby Attila » 17.09.2011 19:57:08

I can now duplicate the following:

Start with default profile. (I assigned different icons to 4 desktops, but this should not matter)
Make DM visible on top right of right monitor. Save profile. Exit Dexpot.
Start dexpot, load profile, DM will appear on top right of left monitor. Correct x,y, wrong monitor.
Move DM to right monitor.
Toggle Show Additional Button with r-click menu. DM moves to left monitor again.
Toggle same option (with DM on left monitor), DM will disappear and I cannot get it back even with restart of dexpot and reloading the profile.
Using windows, I moved the second monitor to the right of primary, toggled DM visibility using task bar r-click menu and on second try (off-on) the DM appeared at top left of right monitor. (0,0)

So, clearly, there is an issue when the second monitor is to the left of the primary monitor. I think the 0,0 location changes in this case and Dexpot does not correctly handles this.

Attila

Postby Attila » 18.09.2011 15:34:06

I have some more info for you.

When Dexpot exits, it writes the registry values for ManagerX and Manager Y. These values become negative depending on where the DM icons are displayed. After changing the registry values to 822 & 6, the DM was loaded, but still on the wrong monitor.

At least now I can use the DM until you fix this issue.

Return to “Dexpot Public Beta”