How to make vista sidebar don't show on all desktops?

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
bimzcy

How to make vista sidebar don't show on all desktops?

Postby bimzcy » 17.09.2008 20:17:42

Hello, I'm a Vista user, and make Dexpot created two desktops. My purpose is to make the gadgets of vista sidebar or vista sidebar itself only show on the second desktop, however no matter how many time I tried, it shows on the first desktop as well. Is there any way to make gadgets of vista sidebar or vista sidebar only show on one desktop? By the way, I only have one screen.

Nebel
Beta Tester

Re: How to make vista sidebar don't show on all desktops?

Postby Nebel » 17.09.2008 22:17:15

Hi,

search the file wechsel.ini in the Dexpot programm folder e.g. C:\Program Files\Dexpot\
Then delete the following lines:

Code: Select all

SideBar_HTMLHostWindow=sticky
SideBar_AppBarBullet=sticky
SideBar_AppBarWindow=sticky

Now create a rule, which routes the sidebar to deskop 2. Chose window class: SideBar_AppBarWindow or Executable sidebar.exe as condition.

Regards
Schöne Grüße
Nebel

bimzcy

Postby bimzcy » 18.09.2008 09:50:26

Thank you very much for your reply, it really works!

After doing what you told me, the sidebar actually no longer show on other desktops, however, the gadgets still show shadows on other desktops (I used to pull the gadgets out of sidebar to desktop instead of letting them stay on sidebar).

Picture is underneath.
Last edited by bimzcy on 18.09.2008 11:20:18, edited 3 times in total.

bimzcy

Postby bimzcy » 18.09.2008 11:07:24

That is to say, on other desktops, it just look like this:

Is there any other way to handle this? I hope its class name isn't BasicWindow and hope there is a special class name for them, otherwise if I also delete "BasicWindow=sticky" in wechsel.ini, that will be more inconvenient.

Nebel
Beta Tester

Postby Nebel » 18.09.2008 11:21:09

Hi,

as rule condition chose Executable is sidebar.exe. That should work.
(You may have chosen Window Class is SideBar_HTMLHostWindow. This condition causes shadows on my desktop.)
You don't have to delete "BasicWindow=sticky" in the wechsel.ini

Regards
Schöne Grüße

Nebel

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 18.09.2008 12:40:18

Nebel wrote:You don't have to delete "BasicWindow=sticky" in the wechsel.ini

Yes, he does. :wink:

While everything else is called SideBar_something, the shadows have the rather generic sounding class name BasicWindow. Welcome to the world of Microsoft mysteries.

bimzcy

Postby bimzcy » 18.09.2008 14:14:53

Patrick wrote:Yes, he does. :wink:

While everything else is called SideBar_something, the shadows have the rather generic sounding class name BasicWindow. Welcome to the world of Microsoft mysteries.

I'm very appreciate that you really understand what I said, the way Nebel told me doesn't work this time, and only move the sticky of BasicWindow could solve the problem so far. However, I also found there are class named SideBar_SettingsWindow and something else. Is it really like the situation that one cannot eat one's cake and have it? I still hope there will be a special class name for the shadow or special way to solve it. Thank all of you.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 18.09.2008 14:37:51

BasicWindow is a special class name. Remove the sticky line from wechsel.ini, use sidebar.exe as the condition for the rule and you're fine.

bimzcy

Postby bimzcy » 18.09.2008 15:12:23

Patrick wrote:BasicWindow is a special class name. Remove the sticky line from wechsel.ini, use sidebar.exe as the condition for the rule and you're fine.

Thank you for replying, and I've done what you suggested. Now I'm busy adding more rules to copy some software to other desktops such as firefox, skype and so on. Now that I remove the sticky line of BasicWindow, I have to add lots of rule to copy my common used programs to other desktops.

However, I found it's a little complicated to do that, another virtual desktop software named Vista/XP virtual desktops can set any program sticky or not by just inputting its name (not class) directly. On the other hand, Dexpot could only set certain class of programs sticky (that means a group of programs) instead of a single program.

In short, Vista/XP virtual desktops set sticky for program name and Dexpot set sticky for window class, I suggest that Dexpot could also set sticky for program name.

For Vista/XP virtual desktops, this problem is very easy to solve, just cancel the sticky of vista sidebar(sidebar.exe) and makes it stay on (the same function of 'move to' in Dexpot) the specified desktop, that's all.

However, compare with the only highlight of setting any program sticky or not, the function of Vista/XP virtual desktops is so poor, I hope Dexpot could improve on that highlight.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 18.09.2008 15:43:20

bimzcy wrote:Now that I remove the sticky line of BasicWindow, I have to add lots of rule to copy my common used programs to other desktops.

Windows Sidebar is the only program I know of that uses the BasicWindow class. So the presence of the BasicWindow=sticky line should only affect the sidebar.

On the other hand, Dexpot could only set certain class of programs sticky (that means a group of programs) instead of a single program.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The intended way to make something sticky in Dexpot is to create a rule with a 'copy to all desktops' action. If you use the executable name of a single program, then this single program becomes sticky, e.g. firefox.exe to make Firefox sticky.

wechsel.ini is only used for special cases like parts of the Windows desktop, which we want to have on every desktop by default. And by the way, it also supports exe-names:

Code: Select all

[Exe]
firefox.exe=sticky

bimzcy

Postby bimzcy » 18.09.2008 20:09:33

Oh, it's very helpful. Firstly, I gain the real concept of sticky; secondly, I know a new way to make any program to be sticky status now. It's more convenient to make one program show on all desktops by adding command line than the traditional way which is to add a rule, thank you very much.

Return to “Support”