too complicated for me, need a dexpot lite

Feedback regarding the public beta of Dexpot is highly appreciated in this forum.
cmckeon

too complicated for me, need a dexpot lite

Postby cmckeon » 24.05.2012 12:35:01

The gold standard for virtual desktops is mac, I think. Simple, elegant, lovely, seems to work flawlessly. Like every virtual desktop I've tried out in wondows, dexpot is too complicated. There's just too many options. Too many windows. Too much shit. Mac's mission control, admittedly, lacks most of these fancy options. But at the end of the day, what I want is: 1) virtual desktops, 2) hotkeys to switch between them quick and easy, 3) separate backgrounds if desired, 4) application assignment. There's lots of other bells and whistles, and dexpot beta has 'em, but they're not really needed. It adds complexity and bugs.

Maybe you can create a dexpot lite that just has those main features that mac has. And a dexpot heavy for power mavens.

Also, you need a better interface for setting up desktops. mac's is perfect: visual, intuitive, easy. Dexpot is multiple windows, multiple tabs, multiple everything. There's so much crap it takes a day to set it up. Mac takes 2 minutes. I'd like to see a GUI interface like mac to set up my desktops. There's no shame in copying mac...what do you think microsoft did for windows vista, 7 and 8? Apple did the same with some windows features. Use the gold standard but put your unique dexpot spin on it.

Thanks. That's my 2 cents. I'm dying for a good virtual desktop, but so far I can't find one that even comes close to mac's reliability, simplicity, ease of use and appearance. I think dexpot beta is the BEST one I've tried on PC, but it needs to be made better by reducing it. Thanks for listening, hope you take it to heart.

Sebastian
Developer

Re: too complicated for me, need a dexpot lite

Postby Sebastian » 24.05.2012 16:39:59

:dex:,

cmckeon wrote:Too much shit.

:santa:

Here's so much crap it takes a day to set it up.

Dexpot comes with many default settings. Preset hotkeys is one example. The new full-screen preview (http://dexcontrol.dexpot.de) allows for an easy entry into the basic concept of virtual desktops. Working our butts off for this.

mac's reliability, simplicity, ease of use and appearance

You must be kidding. Mission Control is full of bugs. Rearranging desktops, wrong focus on switch, multiple monitor exclusions, etc.

Stacking windows is no improvement either. Users demand for bringing back the old features as well (http://switchstep.com/ReSpaceApp). I count myself among them. I'm a part-time Mac user for six years now.

However, thanks for your feedback and Mini/Lite version suggestion. We'll take it into consideration.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

Return to “Dexpot Public Beta”