Win7 Pro crashes on desktop switching

Feedback regarding the public beta of Dexpot is highly appreciated in this forum.
alexleonard

Win7 Pro crashes on desktop switching

Postby alexleonard » 09.05.2012 18:31:52

Hi there,

1. Dexpot and Windows version

Dexpot: 1.5.99.1928
Windows: Win 7 Pro x64

Dual monitor display

2. Detail symptom description incl. error message

Unfortunately I have no error message and can't be certain if it's dexpot or not, but this is what happens.

Every once in a while at the very moment I go to switch desktops using the hotkeys (alt+1, alt+2, etc) my desktop becomes unresponsive to any input. Music continues to play, but it is as though the desktop overlay is frozen. I can still move my mouse around, but if I hover the mouse over any programme window it shows the 'loading' animated icon. Alt+Tab does nothing, yet I can use my global hotkey for foobar to pause/play the music. I can't launch cmd, open start, and if I try to use Ctrl+Alt+Del, then everything freezes including the mouse. The only way out is a hard reset (which I loathe doing).

I can't work out a pattern in when this happens, but it only ever happens at the exact instant that I go to switch desktops using Dexpot hotkeys.

3. Steps to reproduce the error

Not really sure if I can force it, just happens seemingly at random when hot key desktop switching.

4. Running applications

I'm generally running the following:

Foreground: Chrome, Firefox, MetroTwit, Thunderbird, Foobar, Aptana, Evernote, Illustrator

Background: MS Security Essentials, Comodo Firewall, Skype, SpiderOak, Google Drive, Dropbox, Google Music, WinSplit Revolution, Ultra Mon, SpyBot, Wakoopa, Last.fm, TrueCrypt

5. If the error occurs in connection with 3rd party software: name, version, website of the manufacturer

Patrick
Developer

Re: Win7 Pro crashes on desktop switching

Postby Patrick » 09.05.2012 19:00:58

:dex:

Do you use any Dexpot plugins, Dexcube in particular?

alexleonard

Postby alexleonard » 10.05.2012 16:35:53

Hi Patrick,

Sorry, should have mentioned that, yes - using dexcube on the wall setting.

Could that have something to do with it? Better off on stable for the time being?

Cheers,
Alex

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 20.05.2012 13:00:56

I'd say disable Dexcube for a while and see if the problem goes away.

Return to “Dexpot Public Beta”