icons jump all over super fast, get rearranged

Feedback regarding the public beta of Dexpot is highly appreciated in this forum.
Jegstock

icons jump all over super fast, get rearranged

Postby Jegstock » 14.03.2012 20:15:34

I am using Version 1.5.99, Build 1805

Anyway, I am on a laptop that I sometimes use with an external monitor, and the issues are... -when I plug in the external monitor (to the LEFT of my laptop) it moves all my icons over to that left monitor. They seem to retain their position, just on the wrong monitor.
-When I come back to just using my laptop monitor alone, I completely lose all positioning. They bunch up on the right of my laptop screen in one big glob.

One strange thing is that on random occasions I don't lose the position of my icons. Maybe 1 in every 5 or 6 times I test it one of those 2 issues will fail to occur, but most of the time everything gets moved around.

Also, sometimes when I switch desktops the icons they jump all over the place super fast for a few seconds, and then when they finally settle, some icons will actually be on top of each other in the same position! I don't know how its even possible, but I can drag several icons out of the exact same spot on the screen because they are literally on top of each other. This problem does not happen that often, and I think it just fixes itself if I go to another desktop and come back..I think..I can't reproduce it right now, but thought you should know.

Thanks! :)

P.S.
One of your developers gave me a mywechsel.ini file to get rid of dexpot's messing with windows and taskbar, cuz I only want multiple icon sets as desktops, no window manipulations. This issues mentioned here seem to happen completely regardless of whether I have this file implemented.

Re: icons jump all over super fast, get rearranged

Postby Guest » 14.03.2012 23:46:09

Just came across this thing that sounds like whats happening in a windows 7 forum.

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-des ... icons.html
This is a glitch in windows 7 that i have reported to the windows team. It seems that whenever you attach a second monitor while starting windows it defaults all icons to the left most screen. One of the developers has messaged me back and told me that it is an apparent bug that will be fixed in an upcoming update.

Is the code doing anything that would also be happening during windows startup and so would have the same issue? Just bringing it up in case this is something that can help identify the source of the bug.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 15.03.2012 00:22:56

:dex:

Do you use the shared desktop folder or the separate folders mode? Go to "Dexpot Settings > Switching Desktops > Desktop elements > Desktop icons > Advanced" to check.

jegstock

Postby jegstock » 15.03.2012 01:59:01

I was using separate folders mode.
So, I just tried using shared folders mode, did some experiments and had some interesting results...

Experiment 1 - shared mode, unplug monitor while icons are on laptop screen.
1. plug in my external monitor..everything seems to be fine.
2. With icons on my laptop screen, I unplug my external monitor
3. Now all my icons are gone. can't see any of them on any desktop.

Experiment 2 - shared mode, unplug monitor while icons on external screen to left of laptop
1. plug in my external monitor..everything seems to be fine.
2. With icons on my EXTERNAL screen, I unplug my external monitor
3. Now all my icons on my laptop screen, in the positions they had been at on my external screen.

If I set it to "Auto Arrange Icons"

Experiment 3 - shared mode, auto-arrange icons
1. I plug in the external monitor
2. all my icons then auto-move to my external monitor, but in the positions they were in on my laptop monitor before.
3. If I then switch to a different desktop and back, they move to the upper-leftmost corner of my external monitor.
4. When I unplug my external monitor all the icons move to the upper-left most corner of my laptop.

Experiment 4 - shared mode, auto-arrange icons, trying to manually move icons to laptop screen
1. I plug in the external monitor
2. all my icons then auto-move to my external monitor, but in the positions they were in on my laptop monitor before.
3. If I then switch to a different desktop and back, they move to the upper-leftmost corner of my external monitor.
4. I drag the icons over to the right, onto my laptop monitor
5. When I unplug my external monitor..All the icons are gone!

seems like quite a puzzle! :?:

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 15.03.2012 13:16:36

Shared folder mode is only a legacy option for users upgrading from Dexpot 1.5.

Switch back to separate folders. Then exit Dexpot, save the attached file to your Dexpot installation folder (C:\Program Files\Dexpot), and see if it works better with this version.

dexpot.exe
Build 1805-wk2+mi
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 225 times

Jegstock

Postby Jegstock » 15.03.2012 17:23:27

Wow you guys work fast!
I tested with the new .exe you sent and my icons seem to be working perfectly now regardless of whether I am in shared folder mode or multiple folder mode.

Is there a reason that you consider shared folder "only a legacy option". Is multi-folder just better in some way?

Thanks again!

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 18.03.2012 23:00:45

Jegstock wrote:Is there a reason that you consider shared folder "only a legacy option". Is multi-folder just better in some way?

Both have advantages and disadvantages, but the new separate folder mode is generally a lot less headache-inducing for new users.

Return to “Dexpot Public Beta”