Automatic Profile Saving Every X Minutes

Here you may post suggestions for improving and extending Dexpot.
Edenen

Automatic Profile Saving Every X Minutes

Postby Edenen » 01.08.2015 08:15:20

I suggest that automatic profile saving be implemented (in addition to manually saving the profile or saving on exit).

I use Customize Desktop Icons > Create a separate folder for each desktop. So each desktop has its own icons.

Dexpot starts with my PC and my PC does not go down very often (once or twice a week), but sometimes when it does go down it is because of a crash. Dexpot does not recover from crashes well, especially if it crashes on Desktops 2,3 etc - icons on all desktops are out of order or just plain left-aligned.

Loading a previous profile fixes most of this and will re-align icons appropriately, but since profiles are only saved manually or when dexpot exits, a profile can be weeks old, and icons can change a lot during this time.

I think a simple solution would be to have an option to make the current profile re-save at a set interval, like every X minutes.

A more advanced solution would be to create a rolling cache of previous profile saves, such as the last X automatic saves, so that the current profile is not overwritten with each automatic save (unless desired by the user). (If you like this better, please make the saved profile names or files have the time and date in them!)
Last edited by Edenen on 27.09.2015 10:14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Edenen

Re: Automatic Profile Saving Every X Minutes

Postby Edenen » 01.08.2015 08:22:22

If there is a command line option for saving the current profile to a new file, I could get by with just writing a script and scheduling it, but I think this should probably be a feature in the program itself since it helps with crash recovery.

Edenen

Postby Edenen » 25.09.2015 16:08:53

This issue has bitten me twice since I last posted!

Is there any solution available other than manually opening settings and saving the profile? Anyway to automate this at all?
Is the current profile settings stored somewhere so that I can back them up manually?
Is there a command line option for saving the current profile settings?

I am a programmer, so I can setup an external solution just fine as long as you can point me in the right direction.

Please respond, when I lose my desktops setups it can take me over a day to restore them.

Edenen

Postby Edenen » 27.09.2015 10:12:38

Where is the profile-in-use stored? I could just make a backup of that. I see back up profiles are stored in AppData\Roaming\Dexpot\Profile\.The other files there are propstore, standard.dxi, User.dxi.

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 11.11.2015 10:24:00

:dex:,

Edenen wrote:Where is the profile-in-use stored? I could just make a backup of that.

there's no in-use-profile. They're meant to be static and not dynamically change. The *username*.dxi contains the current desktop icon positions.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

Return to “Feature requests”