Add C&P to "Create a Seperate Folder for Each Desktop"

Here you may post suggestions for improving and extending Dexpot.
Edenen

Add C&P to "Create a Seperate Folder for Each Desktop"

Postby Edenen » 17.02.2015 10:48:35

It would be *awesome* if you could support natural copy and pasting (right click or by keyboard shortcuts ctrl+c / ctrl+v) across desktops with the "Create a Separate Folder for Each Desktop" option. This would be a killer feature for Dexpot - no other program really offers this even in a basic form, and as far as I know, Dexpot is the first, but Dexpot's current functionality is not optimal.

I have tried 11 different "multiple desktops" programs and only Dexpot (and one other, but the implementation is terrible) offers icons across the multiple desktops. But the current functionality is quite hampered by not integrating well with Windows. I asked about the issue in this thread, viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5812 , in hopes of coming up with a solution myself (I have a programming background, but mostly in another domain). After reviewing the issue again recently (I keep coming back, checking for updates... having this feature would just be perfect!), I am guessing the issue arises because when you copy from one desktop to the next, the location of the copy is thought by Windows to be at C:\[user]\desktop instead of the actual file location of C:\[user]\desktop [1-4]. But the files' themselves are in the right location, so I can't seem to figure out why it is trying to copy from C:\[user]\desktop when the file is located, say, in C:\[user]\desktop 2.

I don't know if this interpretation is right (please correct me if I am wrong), and any further explanation would be helpful, but regardless, having the feature would be great. I don't know what limitations are faced in adding this, and I guess it might require re-working how "create a separate folder for each desktop" organizes files and places them on the desktop, but this addition, again, would be a killer feature.

Dexpot is the Rolls Royce of multiple desktop programs -- almost every feature for a power user is here. Please consider implementing natural Windows copy and paste across desktops.

Edenen

Re: Add C&P to "Create a Seperate Folder for Each Desktop"

Postby Edenen » 27.02.2015 20:50:46

Is there any update on this?

I tried out a few copy programs and (very surprisingly) nearly all were able to copy between desktop folders, but each usurped windows native copying and had to be running all the time. Try Teracopy to see copying between desktops working. I hope this can help.

Return to “Feature requests”