Hotkey - Mouse Buttons

Here you may post suggestions for improving and extending Dexpot.
BillyBob

Hotkey - Mouse Buttons

Postby BillyBob » 11.02.2009 16:57:39

It would would be nice to be able to bind various hotkeys to mouse buttons and not keyboard buttons. On my mac I have windows expose (similar feature to windows catalogue) bound to a button on the side of my mouse. That way I can click that and then click on the window I want. Everything goes through the mouse.

elliotm

Re: Hotkey - Mouse Buttons

Postby elliotm » 26.03.2010 04:06:50

My mouse featuers a left/right rocking scroll wheel along with extra buttons. It would be nice to have this incorporated in the hotkey options, as well.

Like hold Win+mouse wheel rock right to next desktop, Win+mouse wheel rock left to previous desktop. Or Win+any mouse button for these actions.

nick2253
Beta Tester

Postby nick2253 » 04.06.2010 19:07:06

That would be a great improvement, methinks. I really like the idea of Win+mouse wheel to change desktops.

--Nick
Windows 7 x64 Professional
C2D E6700 @ 3.5 GHz, 4 GB OCZ Flex RAM

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 04.06.2010 23:52:55

For you folks using a Logitech with the Setpoint software or similar in Microsoft Moues/Keyboard and the like. Your various key functionality can be assigned via Hotkey assignment.

I utilize Logitech VX Revolution with setpoit tools by Logitech.
I operate the appearance and disappearance of Circle Dock by re-assigning my Search button to:
ctrl+f1

I flip through my Dexpot via the mouse by assigning Hotkeys to Dexpot and then assigning those Hotkeys from Dexpot to my Mouse. Forward and Back buttons on the left side of the mouse.

Barring all else;
You may also take a look at the following third party tool:
http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm
See if this will meet your needs....XMouseButtonControl has done wonders for folks with massive and Multi-Massive button mice.

That is my recommendations.
I will leave it to Sebastian and Patrick if they would wish to incorporate this functionality into Dexpot

nick2253
Beta Tester

Postby nick2253 » 05.06.2010 03:12:40

sgtevmckay:

Your workaround does have merit, but unfortunately, it doesn't work in all situations. In my case, I don't like what the Setpoint software does to my acceleration curves, so I don't use it. I also don't like defining key combination to my back and forward buttons as I use them as back/forward buttons. There exists a similar problem to redefining the scroll wheel.

Also, redefining the buttons in that manner limits their usefulness in games and the like, where you want to use the mouse buttons without activating, say...DexCube, for example.

Lastly, for ease of use, Dexpot should be an all-in-one solution, not reliant on external software. Capturing Mouse input should be just as easy as keyboard input (please correct me if I'm wrong. In all my coding experience, the difference between mouse and keyboard was trivial), so it shouldn't do much to "bloat" or slow down Dexpot in any way.

--Nick

sgtevmckay

Postby sgtevmckay » 05.06.2010 03:24:24

As far as I know you are correct in the slight differences in Coding between Keyboard and Mouse.

I meant no offense....I was just offering what may be an interim solution.

As for the Setpoint treating you badly...that is sad to hear, as I have had no issues.
The latest setpoint can be customized per program to avoid what you have experienced.
So if the indicated program is front most window or active window...then all functionality programmed to that window is the focus of SetPoint. So I can set my forward and back t operate one way in Firefox, and a completely different way Word, and so on.

As for an all encompassing all built in situation to any software...I have yet to see it in any one program, as being a novice programmer and spent many years as a Beta tester, I find that he programmers can not anticipate every individuals wants and needs, and a lot of those "Wants" will get overlooked to avoid bloat or code corruption.

as I say; I have yet to see it, but these folks here at Dexpot may just yet impress us all and do it.
They seem so close :wink:

nick2253
Beta Tester

Postby nick2253 » 05.06.2010 03:34:29

sgtevmckay wrote:I meant no offense....I was just offering what may be an interim solution.

I meant no offense either. Reading back on it, my post was a bit snarky. My apologies. I'm afraid that I get a bit worked up when anything has to do with Setpoint. While it may be better now, the problems with SetPoint caused nothing but headache after headache for me.

Anyway, what I was going for in the all-in-one solution was simply the integration of system-wide mouse shortcuts as well as the already existing keyboard shortcuts. My ideal solution (piggy-backing on a previous feature request), would be to have a 2D wall (like OSX Spaces) that I can move up/down/left/right in using Win+Scroll Wheel Up/Down/Left/Right.

sgtevmckay wrote:...if the indicated program is front most window or active window...then all functionality programmed to that window is the focus of SetPoint. So I can set my forward and back t operate one way in Firefox, and a completely different way Word, and so on.

If that is indeed the case, then I may have to give SetPoint another look. I've had no problems with the Keyboard Profiler for G15, and have always loved logitech hardware, but I'm not their biggest software fan.

And I have to agree. They are ohh so very close!

--Nick

selden
Beta Tester

Postby selden » 26.09.2010 19:48:28

For what it's worth, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the "back" and "forward" buttons on my 5-button Microsoft Intellimouse can be used to step back and forth through the desktops when the cursor is on an empty area of a desktop. They worked without having to make any special settings in Dexpot. I didn't see this feature mentioned anywhere, but maybe I just overlooked it.
Selden

anonymouse

Postby anonymouse » 21.10.2015 15:52:19

selden wrote:For what it's worth, I was very pleasantly surprised to find that the "back" and "forward" buttons on my 5-button Microsoft Intellimouse can be used to step back and forth through the desktops when the cursor is on an empty area of a desktop. They worked without having to make any special settings in Dexpot. I didn't see this feature mentioned anywhere, but maybe I just overlooked it.

My technet wireless mouse's forward & back buttons have always automatically switched desktops until recently they stopped working a couple of weeks ago, until I rebooted at which point all was fine again.

However they stopped working for that 2 days ago and functionality hasn't been restored since (they still work as forward & back in the browser - just dexpot has stopped switching when they are pressed) I just can't figure out anything that has changed in the meantime :(

Return to “Feature requests”