Need to recover from Dexpot isues, Uninstall dosen't restore

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
RobH2

Need to recover from Dexpot isues, Uninstall dosen't restore

Postby RobH2 » 17.02.2016 21:53:32

I've been trying the latest Dexpot on my Windows 10 machine that has 3 monitors. Two are standard screens and one is a Cintiq 13HD. All was great for a few days. Then programs began just disappearing. I'd click to save a file and the whole program would disappear just leaving the "save to" window open. Sometimes both would disappear. I could not get them back easily. Sometime opening a second instance of the program worked but some programs don't like more than one instance running so that caused issues.

I spent a lot of time in the forum applying tweaks and reading. I have not been successful so I uninstalled Dexpot. Now I still have the same malfunctions. How can I return my Windows desktop environment back to the default state it was in before Dexpot?

Edit: Just a bit more. I've completely removed Dexpot (also used a Registry cleaner to get leftover keys and entries) and rebooted. But, as I opened a program, the title that I had given one of my desktops displayed on my desktop for an instance and went away. So, some lingering control is still being exerted by Dexpot.

RobH2

Re: Need to recover from Dexpot isues, Uninstall dosen't res

Postby RobH2 » 18.02.2016 04:50:01

I'm going to answer my own question in hopes that it helps someone else having the same problem.

I felt like I thoroughly uninstalled all remnants of Dexpot. I was still getting disappearing programs and text would briefly flash in the corner of the screen that was the name of several of the desktops that I named with Dexpot.

I manually searched the Registry and removed any reference to Dexpot. I found several. I then started opening some of the NVidia keys and explored them. I found one that had some lingering references to 'Desktops.' It was located here:

HKCU\Software\Nvidia Corporation\Global\nView\DesktopManagement

What was strange was that I didn't have nView installed and didn't have access to the NVidia Desktops feature. But in the key folder, there were 4 desktop folders and two of them had the exact names of the text I kept seeing come up on my monitors when I launched programs that had originally been assigned to those Dexpot desktops.

I uninstalled my NVidia drivers, removed them also in 3rd party uninstaller, removed them in Device Manager, ran CC cleaner and rebooted. I then ran CC Cleaner and the uninstaller again. Both found a few instances of NVidia and Dexpot. I removed them. I rebooted again, created a restore point (clean system with no NVidia or Dexpot) and reinstalled my NVidia drivers and rebooted.

I think it was successful. So far, no text is coming up and programs seem to stay on the desktop and aren't disappearing.

Sebastian
Developer

Re: Need to recover from Dexpot isues, Uninstall dosen't res

Postby Sebastian » 18.02.2016 10:14:02

:dex:,

RobH2 wrote:But, as I opened a program, the title that I had given one of my desktops displayed on my desktop for an instance and went away. So, some lingering control is still being exerted by Dexpot.

as Dexpot doesn't do any persistent changes to the system, that can't be true.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

Return to “Support”