Non-crap ware version?

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
asdf34

Non-crap ware version?

Postby asdf34 » 16.01.2016 07:48:49

I'd really like to use this software, I like it very much. My newest virus scanner is flagging it has having open candy. Do you have a non-crap ware version? Can I purchase that? .. If the answer is no I'll be disappointed and move along to some other software. If the answer is yes it will piss me off. Crap ware is never the answer. Instead I suggest you spend money on advertising and then remove the free version.

Also I find that it doesn't work for some windows. Typically where the program decorated the stanard frame or context menu. It wrecks havoc with visual studios. Any fixes for this sort of thing?

DreadPirateLynx

Re: Non-crap ware version?

Postby DreadPirateLynx » 17.01.2016 05:07:48

So what you're saying is you don't know how to uncheck a box during installation. Gotcha.

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 17.01.2016 09:28:17

:dex:,

asdf34 wrote:I'd really like to use this software, I like it very much. My newest virus scanner is flagging it has having open candy. Do you have a non-crap ware version? Can I purchase that? .. If the answer is no I'll be disappointed and move along to some other software. If the answer is yes it will piss me off. Crap ware is never the answer. Instead I suggest you spend money on advertising and then remove the free version.

you may download an ad-free evaluation setup from the purchase page or use the portable edition if you're not okay with an ad displayed during the installation process.

Also I find that it doesn't work for some windows. Typically where the program decorated the stanard frame or context menu. It wrecks havoc with visual studios. Any fixes for this sort of thing?

Please describe the issues in more detail.

I had to delete different cross-postings from you (from different guest users) with the same content as above.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

Postby Guest » 20.01.2016 03:14:20

Sebastian wrote::dex:,

asdf34 wrote:I'd really like to use this software, I like it very much. My newest virus scanner is flagging it has having open candy. Do you have a non-crap ware version? Can I purchase that? .. If the answer is no I'll be disappointed and move along to some other software. If the answer is yes it will piss me off. Crap ware is never the answer. Instead I suggest you spend money on advertising and then remove the free version.

you may download an ad-free evaluation setup from the purchase page or use the portable edition if you're not okay with an ad displayed during the installation process.

Please describe the issues in more detail.

I had to delete different cross-postings from you (from different guest users) with the same content as above.

I've only posted once. However I had (and probably will have again) problems posting. I believe my account is in some sort of admin mode. I say that because I have a prompt to set my user name on this forum (above the subject textbox). Obviously I'm already logged in so I'm not sure what the deal is. It seems putting my own account in never works but using a nonexisting account does work.

Visual Studios is a mess with Dexpot switching at certain times (window creation) which happens during startup and compilation is the key to the bug. Also non-docked windows cannot be moved once they are in place. Visual Studio employs around 5 hidden windows.

About the malware it really does not matter if there is a good version, or a checkbox. The antivirus my company uses flags it as it is downloaded. In order to get software installed there is a review process if the company gets on a list or is associated with malware it is very hard to get off that list. This is probably true for most fortune 500 companies. So it's not like I can ask the it security folks to scan a different version of the same software. It's a great program, I like it more than compiz so it's a shame to see it go this way.

equiplist

Postby equiplist » 20.01.2016 13:49:35

Recently I tried Sysinternals Dektops. I liked the concept, but the interface was old. It seems that it has not been updated since 2012. Inspired to search for something better, I found Dexpot. I installed it on my laptop.

I wanted to also have it on my desktop, but wasn't sure if I should use the install or the portable version, I searched this forum for 'portable'. When I saw this post, I felt a response was in order.

@asdf34
re: "Non-crap ware version?"

I don't understand all of your fuss.

I was surprised by the various posts about this. I am regularly searching for and installing software. I have a experienced *many* bad software, bloated with ad-ware, and virus infected. I installed both portable and installer versions on 2 different computers. At no time was I ever confronted with bad stuff from Dexpot.

I very much like Dexpot, in NO way do I see it as any sort of problem program. I would definitely recommend it to others. My rating? *****5 stars*****

The one thing I wanted that I couldn't have, was the ability to pin different items on the taskbar to different desktops. But pasting different shortcuts to the various desktops is an acceptable solution.
Last edited by equiplist on 19.06.2016 23:18:06, edited 3 times in total.

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 02.02.2016 10:39:09

equiplist wrote:I don't understand all of your fuss.

I was surprised by the various posts about this. I am regularly searching for and installing software. I have a experienced *many* bad software, bloated with ad-ware, and virus infected. I installed both portable and installer versions on 2 different computers. At no time was I ever confronted with bad stuff from Dexpot.

this is because we hand-pick the software advertised during the installation process (major anti-virus vendors included). However, it has become an issue since other anti-virus vendors and Microsoft decided to (optionally) flag setups offering additional software.

It's now up for internal discussion how to remove ads from the installers while keeping Dexpot free for private use.
Best regards (wave)

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 15.02.2016 10:33:11

OpenCandy has now been removed from both the Dexpot and Dexclock installer.
Best regards (wave)

Return to “Support”