W8.1 Metro/Modern UI not showing in catalog or full-preview

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
spidermitch

W8.1 Metro/Modern UI not showing in catalog or full-preview

Postby spidermitch » 03.12.2014 17:16:06

First off, my appologies if this has already been answered; I've looked through the forum and have yet to find anyone having or posting about this. Maybe it's just a common setting I haven't found.

I'm running Windows 8.1 wUpdate x64, latest version of Dexpot. When using either Full-screen preview or Window Catalog, I have found that opened metro (modern UI) apps don't show. I have no problem with switching to other desktop/legacy apps, and they all show - even if minimized, but none of the metro apps are showing.

Is this a known issue with Windows metro/modern UI and Dexpot? Is there a workaround with the wechsel.ini I just don't know about that everyone does? or is there some setting that is disabling this?

Patrick
Developer

Re: W8.1 Metro/Modern UI not showing in catalog or full-prev

Postby Patrick » 04.12.2014 00:02:21

:dex:

That's correct. The Metro environment is not considered part of the desktop and not managed by Dexpot.

spidermitch

Postby spidermitch » 04.12.2014 05:05:28

Thanks for the response. I was racking my brain on which setting combo (between full-screen apps & plugins should be disabled/enabled) to make it work.

That said, since Windows 10 provides windowed support to metro applications, are there plans to address the inclusion of metro/modern UI apps in the window catalog?

Again, thx for the quick response!

spidermitch

Postby spidermitch » 04.12.2014 21:27:17

Just a quick note: I tested on a Windows 10 Tech Preview vm & Metro/Modern UI windows that are maximized or in a smaller 'restored' window do show up in the catalog! However, if you click on the eclipses on the top left of the metro window and choose "FULL SCREEN" it no longer shows in the catalog.

I've also noticed that if you switch to a normal window at this point, the Metro/Modern UI app goes back to a "maximized" state, and shows back up in the catalog.

Hopefully Windows 10 will allow accessing the list of windows opened full screen in the Metro/UI environment as it's allowed the taskbar to show them, but until then, a workaround is not to use full screen in Windows 10 if you're multitasking.

spidermitch

Postby spidermitch » 02.06.2015 16:44:47

So far, everything in the above post is true, except that now with continuum in place the "Tablet mode" will make everything full-screen and hidden from the catalog in Dexpot. If you leave it in desktop mode, you see any metro (modern UI) apps in the catalog.

I'm only resurrecting this thread because I believe Dexpot's expose-like interface is far superior to and task switching mechanic Microsoft has tried to introduce into Windows. From the Windows 7's Flip3D to Windows 8's extra taskbar for Metro apps only, and even Windows 10's task switcher (Alt+tab) just shows same-size, small thumbnails. This makes it difficult to use if you're trying to identify windows based on their window size / style. I find seeing the animation of Dexpot show all windows open (catalog preview) allows me to quickly identify which window I need. (Like an instant messenger app that's an oblong window.)

This said, I believe there's probably a flag that is turned on / off that labels the window something that Dexpot recognizes / doesn't see when a metro app is Full Screen in tablet mode vs a window in desktop mode within Windows 10. It may be a really simple change to enable Dexpot to see all windows, regardless if this flag is set, so we can continue using such an amazing program in Windows 10.

milan081

Postby milan081 » 03.06.2015 10:47:22

Thanks for these infos !!!

Return to “Support”