Switching Assign Applications

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Helladen

Switching Assign Applications

Postby Helladen » 31.10.2014 03:40:23

If you for instance set the switch to desktop option on one of your apps while assigning an application (Assign Application right click menu from tray), it will require you to hit Ok before it will save. For example, if I select another app on the list it will have the option that I just set on the previous app, and this causes many problems such as corruption of the settings for apps that you select from the first one that you set.

Patrick
Developer

Re: Switching Assign Applications

Postby Patrick » 04.11.2014 15:39:19

:dex:

I was unable to find any problems based on your description. Could you please give more detailed step-by-step instructions?

jimwg

Postby jimwg » 10.11.2014 09:51:42

Greetings & keep up the good work, Patrick!

To avoid opening a new thread on a similar issue...

Just re-installed upgraded Dexport to XP laptop after a year away. I'm able to get Opera and Wordpad to open up on their assigned screens but XP Word and OpenOffice won't even though I'm assigning them by the book. I don't recall previously having this issue at all. I'm wondering does it matter whether you assign an application directly from its source file in the master Program folder in C: or from a shortcut on a desktop which (?) is maybe a confusing dead-end app marker to Dexpot for some apps? Is there a way to truly purge the Assign Apps config file and do it over in case it's corrupt? Just brainstorming it out!

Again, keep up the great job!

Jim in NYC

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 10.11.2014 18:16:45

:dex:

Yes, assignments based on shortcuts don't work if the application has some kind of launcher that's separate from the application itself. I think this is the case with OpenOffice, not sure about Word. To clear out assignments, select anything in Assign Assignments with a desktop assigned and click on Remove.

jimwg

Postby jimwg » 11.11.2014 15:23:12

Patrick wrote::dex:

Yes, assignments based on shortcuts don't work if the application has some kind of launcher that's separate from the application itself. I think this is the case with OpenOffice, not sure about Word. To clear out assignments, select anything in Assign Assignments with a desktop assigned and click on Remove.

Word works like a charm but OpenOffice is a different story. :( I click-assigned to C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\program\swriter and C:\Program Files\OpenOffice 4\program\soffice but no go. :( Taking after what you said, there must be some kind of hidden launcher for OO apps in there!

I request any users that got Assign Apps to OpenOffice to go and switch screens to please post how they managed it! Thanks!

Jim in NYC

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 12.11.2014 22:07:59

Try assigning "soffice.bin" (located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program" for me). It's the same for all the components of the office suite, so you can't assign e.g. Writer and Calc to different desktops.

jimwg

Postby jimwg » 02.12.2014 09:34:37

Patrick wrote:Try assigning "soffice.bin" (located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice 4\program" for me). It's the same for all the components of the office suite, so you can't assign e.g. Writer and Calc to different desktops.

Unfortunately there're no OpenOffice files in my Program (x86) folder at all. :( Making inquries to OpenOffice forum and will keep you appraised.

Patrick, Seasons Greetings to you and loved ones and thanks for all your hard and sadly often thankless work! You're making a difference! ;)

jimwg

Postby jimwg » 07.12.2014 15:05:55

Got it to work! Had to clear out all my previous tags first but works now! Thanks!

Seasons Greetings!

Jim in NYC

jimwg

Postby jimwg » 15.12.2014 13:01:37

jimwg wrote:Got it to work! Had to clear out all my previous tags first but works now!

Interesting!

Looks like we were both right!

When you directly launch OpenOffice from XP's Quick Launch bar it properly opens on the screen assigned it, but if you first click and open a OO document which is on another screen then OpenOffice opens on that same screen instead of its assigned one. So it seems there are two different launch routes for OpenOffice. Will keep apprised!

Seasons Greetings!

Jim in NYC

Return to “Support”