Adobe CC programs

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
mrartist

Adobe CC programs

Postby mrartist » 29.03.2014 04:16:18

Win 7 64bit, 12GB RAM, Dexpot 1.6.11, build 2394, two 30" monitors and one 24", NVidia GTX 295 & 8800 GT.

Trying out Dexpot for the last couple of days and I'm amazed at how good Dexpot seems to be since I last played with multiple desktops and was never satisfied. Why did I never find Dexpot before?

But... Despite spending hours tweaking and understanding how Dexpot works, I'm having problems just running my normal software. In particular Adobe InDesign and PhotoShop (the only two main large programs I've tried so far) - I have Firefox, Chrome and Thunderbird seemingly working fine across desktops and my three monitors (and on the desktops I specify), but the Adobe programs are causing me some big problems in that they won't show on just one monitor even if specified.

I run the main Adobe program's screen on one of my large monitors, and then have the palettes open on the other large screen. If the program (e.g. InDesign or PhotoShop) is maximised and I then switch to another desktop, the palettes stay on one main large screen, and the program window itself flickers across to the smaller 24" screen. If I click on the palettes or program on these other desktops, I just get an error sound and the programs cannot be interacted with. When I go back to the correct desktop, the main program window remains at the 24" size until I manually move it and then it jumps back to the 30" maximised size.

If I start the process of switching desktops (away from the initial desktop) when the program is not maximised (i.e. slightly smaller than the full monitor size), then the main program window does not show on other desktops (but the palettes still do), but when I go back to the correct desktop, then the program window is shrunk to the smallest size it can go. I then have to drag it larger again.

Something is not right with the way Adobe CC programs work with the desktops and I've tried all sorts of settings and tweaks for telling the program windows to go to specific desktops (or not) but it makes no difference to the problem.

I have tried entering custom entries into mywechsel.ini but it seemed to make no difference even after reboots, but then again, I'm not sure what I'm doing in that file but I tried obvious things like:
[Exe]
InDesign.exe=move

and I saw in Desktop Rules that I could drag the icon shape to the program/palette windows to try and exclude them in Desktop Rules (via e.g. Window Class or others?), again, no difference.

Under Desktop Preview, I see the Adobe icons on the correct desktops but the programs (and palettes) show on all actual desktops in various ways. I also see the program icons repeated many times in Preview for it's particular desktop, maybe up to 8 times or more depending on the palettes out I think.

So I hope you have a nice fix for this series of problems?

Patrick
Developer

Re: Adobe CC programs

Postby Patrick » 31.03.2014 15:46:20

:dex:

Do you have the option "Settings > Switching Desktops > Keep all taskbar buttons visible" enabled?

mrartist

Postby mrartist » 01.04.2014 09:55:56

The setting "Keep all taskbar buttons visible" was on, I tried switching it off and it makes absolutely no difference to the problems with Adobe CC programs (InDesign and Photoshop mainly tested), even after a reboot.

In Desktop Preview I see a long row of the particular program's icon for the desktop the program is actually on and none on the other desktops, yet when I switch to any of the other desktops the Adobe program palettes (extra controlling windows) show on each desktop and the main program window switches away from its main monitor to my smaller one. On any desktop other than the correct one, I get an error beep if I click on any part of the rogue desktop programs, I cannot close, move or action anything in the program until I return to the correct desktop.

Just to mention, I get the odd duplication of other programs. Just now I noticed Firefox was duplicated on desktop 4 even though it was started on No 1. I have mostly given up now on Dexpot (but it is still running) so all my programs are started and used on desktop 1, so I have no idea how a copy of Firefox ended up on desktop 4. The other day when I was trying Thunderbird assigned to desktop 2, I hit reply to an email which then switched the reply window to another desktop which I then couldn't activate to type into. I couldn't resolve the problem and had to quit Thunderbird to make things work again. I have since removed any desktop assignments or automatic moves and just work from desktop 1 at the moment.

Does anyone else have these sorts of problems? Does anyone have Adobe CC programs running correctly?

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 01.04.2014 16:59:54

Turn off "Keep all taskbar buttons visible" and delete the mywechsel.ini file from your Dexpot folder. If you've made any modifications to the wechsel.ini file, undo those as well. Then restart Dexpot.

mrartist

Postby mrartist » 01.04.2014 19:52:51

Thanks, deleting myweshsel.ini and turning off "Keep all taskbar buttons visible" did the trick.

I'd forgotten I had a couple of entries in myweshel.ini as follows:
------------------------
[Exe]
InDesign.exe=move

[Titel]
Dexpot | Virtual desktops for Windows=sticky
---------------------------

But I only put the InDesign one in there to try and solve the problem (I think)

No matter it seems to be working but the main bug/problem seems to occur because of the "Keep all taskbar buttons visible" needing to be off. I turned it on early after installing because I do like to see what is running on the taskbar and switching by a simple click.

Is there any way of curing the "Keep all taskbar buttons visible" problem? I have just installed today's update and turning that option back on makes my InDesign problem come back.

Many thanks for your help.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 02.04.2014 22:45:11

With Photoshop CS5, I can fix the problem by adding the following to mywechsel.ini:

Code: Select all

[Klasse]
OWL.Dock=dontmove

I don't have Adobe CC, so it's possible this won't work in your case. If Creative Cloud apps are indeed incompatible with the "Keep all taskbar buttons visible" feature, you can exclude them like this:

Code: Select all

[Exe]
InDesign.exe=dontmove

This way, the taskbar button for InDesign does not remain visible when switching desktops.

Return to “Support”