Desktop Icons Shifting When Dexpot Runs

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
WolfmanRobby

Desktop Icons Shifting When Dexpot Runs

Postby WolfmanRobby » 26.12.2012 14:43:12

For about the last year, I've been having a strange issue that I narrowed down to being related to Dexpot. Searching the forums here, I find people with similar problems, but no real solutions listed.

I tend to use my desktop on my laptop just like my physical desk. I keep what I'm working on there (Word Docs, Spreadsheets, Images...) until I'm finished then I file it. I'm very picky about my icon layout. I group files by project.

What happens is that my desktop icons will jump around and re-arrange themselves at random. Sometimes, they even "disappear" (I put that in quotes as they don't disppear, they just wind up under another icon where you can't see them). I've blamed Windows 7 (Home Premium 64bit) over and over for it as it seemed to happen right before windows shut down, or right after I logged on. Well, back then, I had Dexpot loading with Windows. Since I turned that off and manually launch Dexpot only when I use it, my icon stay where they should... Until I launch Dexpot. There is the culprit!

As soon as I launch Dexpot, my icons re-arrange themselves. I close Dexpot (Exit it from the system tray icon), and the icon's go right back to where they were. I've tinkered with the "Profiles" in Dexpot settings, telling it to save and load the profile, but that does nothing to help the problem. Not only that, but the icons are different on the 2 desktops. (I'm including screenshots below,)

While I was fighting the problem, I even did a full Wipe and Reload of Windows. As I said, I found others here with the same issue, but no fixes that worked for them, or myself.

Dexpot is a great app, but this is REALLY annoying when you are trying to work and can't find the project files because they moved around.

To surmise the details. I am on the current version of Dexpot (1.6.4 Build 2186), Windows 7, Home Prem (64Bit).
I've reloaded Windows. I've removed and re-installed Dexpot several times. I've tried using the desktop profiles in the Dexpot settings with no luck.

Anyone got any other things to try? Is there a debugging or logging mode I can enable to capture some logs of what happens when I start/exit the app?

Normal Desktop without Dexpot running (When Windows loads up it looks like this until I start Dexpot and goes back to this as soon as I exit Dexpot): (Click the Thumbnail for a full sized version)

After I launch Dexpot, this is what happens (the more things I have on the desktop, the worse it gets!) The first picture is Desktop 1, and the bottom is Desktop 2:

WolfmanRobby

Re: Desktop Icons Shifting When Dexpot Runs

Postby WolfmanRobby » 26.12.2012 14:45:50

I'm not sure why that posted as "Guest" when I was logged in. Possibly because it took me so long to type it up (Between working on the post and responding to work emails) that my session timed out???
Anyway, that post was not by "Guest" it was by me!

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 26.12.2012 15:42:29

:dex:,

Merry Christmas. :santa:
Do you need icon customization at all? Disable it in 'Settings > Switching Desktops > Customize desktop icons'.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

WolfmanRobby

Postby WolfmanRobby » 26.12.2012 15:47:04

Sebastian wrote:Do you need icon customization at all? Disable it in 'Settings > Switching Desktops > Customize desktop icons'.

Sebastian - That is already disabled. That was listed in a previous post where someone had this issue as a possible fix. It didn't work for that person and it hasn't helped me either. :cry:

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 02.01.2013 16:51:07

is this still an issue for you?

WolfmanRobby wrote:That was listed in a previous post where someone had this issue as a possible fix. It didn't work for that person and it hasn't helped me either. :cry:

Where exactly? I doubt that was the same problem.

You can see on your screenshots that the old icon customization is enabled. Do you have different versions of Dexpot installed (one in your startup, the other somewhere in program files as portable)? Just a guess.
Best regards (wave)

WolfmanRobby

Postby WolfmanRobby » 11.01.2013 14:29:51

Sebastian wrote::dex:,

is this still an issue for you?

Yes

Sebastian wrote::You can see on your screenshots that the old icon customization is enabled. Do you have different versions of Dexpot installed (one in your startup, the other somewhere in program files as portable)? Just a guess.

I'm not sure what you are looking at, but:
1) the "Customize icons" option is and has been disabled in the settings for months (See screenshot below). There have been SEVERAL posts here on the desktop icons moving/re-arrainging. I can't remember what thread it was, but thats where I found to uncheck that and it didn't help. Where exactly? Go back through the forum yourself and find the thread if you really want to know. I don't have time to re-read it all again.

2) there is only ONE version of the app running (the one listed above). I've NEVER had the protable version (I didn't even know one exsisted). And, I can assure you that there is not an older version running. As I mentioned in my first post, I've even done a wipe and reload of my system (Thus wiping out any previous versions). Not only that, but I can Start Dexpot from the Start menu and watch my desktop icons jump around. Then, right click on the system tray Icon and choose EXIT. As soon as I do, my icons go back to normal. THUS, logic dictates that it is the version that is running and not some other, ghost version that does not exsist on my system.

WolfmanRobby

Postby WolfmanRobby » 11.01.2013 14:35:21

You'll also notice in the screenshot in my last post that the check box to keep task bar buttons visable is UNCHECKED. Yet, in the screenshots in my first post, you can see the taskbar icons are there.

OBVIOUSLY, the application is not respecting the settings.

And, as I've said, I've uninstalled/re-installed and even wiped and reloaded Windows. So, the issue has to be within the app somewhere.

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 11.01.2013 17:39:52

WolfmanRobby wrote:You'll also notice in the screenshot in my last post that the check box to keep task bar buttons visable is UNCHECKED. Yet, in the screenshots in my first post, you can see the taskbar icons are there.

that's SevenDex ('Settings > Plugins and Extras').

Please enable the log file, reproduce the issue, send it to our email address or attach it to your post:
Debug: Enable the Dexpot log file
Best regards (wave)

Teverant

Postby Teverant » 04.05.2014 22:20:40

I'm having the same set of issues, except I have to have the "customized desktop icons" option checked otherwise Dexpot loses its entire point for my usage. I need there to be a different set of icons on each desktop.

However, when I restart the machine (Win7), or shut down and start back up again, it pops up the primary desktop with the correct icon arrangement until Dexpot loads, and randomizes or reconfigures everything. Randomly, the other desktops may suffer the same fate.

niftygeek

Postby niftygeek » 26.05.2014 18:24:50

I too group icons together based on objectives, and it's nice to have them sectioned into a space as if it were a real table or physical desktop. When they scatter, it's like trying to work outside on a variety of folding tables in unpredictable wind. It can be upsetting.

I've been having similar problems with icon skewing prior to using Dextpot, though it seems to be more of an issue with resolution changes (when connecting to different physical monitors). Now that I'm using Dexpot, I'm using different icons for different desktops as well. Great for keeping projects organized without making a flowchart with links in it.

When I visit client sites and attach a monitor, due to the resolution of the attached monitor the icons get confused, as if the screen has scrolled. Some of the icons disappear altogether. I'm hoping that when I visit one of my client tomorrow that my nifty new icon arrangement will be working well.

Perhaps when switching monitors, the "Customize screen resolution" might come in handy. I haven't turned it on yet. My thoughts are that it might help for one set of desktop icons, but yet might also skew or reset all of the others in the process.

I've been using another program in conjunction with Dexpot called "Restore Desktop Icon Layouts" and I've had some success (though when I connect to different monitors at different client locations, I have to save additional 'snapshots', just for that location/resolution). I may be resorting to rearranging the desktop icons yet again come tomorrow, and saving a new version of the layout for that client.

The extra step of saving the icon layouts isn't ideal, but it works. I'm sure I'm going to find that as the number of my desktops grow as I add more projects, that saving these layouts is going to be more of a hassle to keep up with.

I really hope I find a definitive answer to the skewing and resetting. If I figure one out, I'll post it. If not, I'll be hoping someone else does the right footwork for a stable icon environment. If it comes to it, maybe I'll post a monetary reward ;)

Ion-C

Postby Ion-C » 12.11.2019 02:32:33

UP TO DATE HERE:
As of Windows 10 at least, icon customization on multiple desktops is THE ONLY reason to run Dexpot. Custom apps and trying to coordinate with Windows 10 multiple desktops is futile at best. So you should learn how to do this capably - I can't tutor you. I will eventually offer a better alternative (#@KTS179@# will go live.)

Return to “Support”