Duplicate windows randomly appearing on desktops.

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Asph

Duplicate windows randomly appearing on desktops.

Postby Asph » 04.12.2012 19:52:48

Sometimes when I start a a program, and sometimes when I switch desktops, I see unwanted copies of some windows (along with their taskbar icons). This is true especially for Google Chrome; I think it happens when I have multiple Chrome windows on different screens. Another program, iMindmap behaves like this even more often (and this happens even though I only have one instance of this program open, that is, all tabs are in one window). Both programs have a tabbed interface, so I think this may be related to the cause of the problem.

I would have loved to disable the copying windows function completely until this is fixed, but I could not find a way to accomplish that.

I am using the Build 2186; have 4 desktops; using no background images and only different colors for each desktop; and have desktop icons disabled on two of these desktops.

By the way, I came across a similar (or the same) problem here for an older version as well in a one-year old (unsolved) post:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3621&p=30815#p30815

Andys01

Re: Duplicate windows randomly appearing on desktops.

Postby Andys01 » 07.12.2012 19:59:57

I have a similar problem. I use the tiny list of icons for screen 1-4 (I don't know what this is called), or I choose a desktop by hovering over the Dexpot icon on the task bar.

All other windows remain sticky.

I tried adding "chrome.exe=ignore" in my mywechsel.ini file, but it didn't make any difference.

I'm running Windows 7

beefnoodle

Postby beefnoodle » 25.07.2014 08:43:45

has the same problem +1

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 25.07.2014 15:53:03

:dex:

Settings > Plugins and Extras > Behavior of windows on other desktops.

Respectech

Postby Respectech » 26.07.2014 00:01:41

I have the same problem. I've tried changing the Plugins and Extras | Behavior of windows on other desktops to "Do nothing", but these windows still change screens.

I love Dexpot and think it is a great program, but this apparent bug makes it very hard to use.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 26.07.2014 12:54:03

Could you please describe the problem? Which programs are affected? When do the copies appear exactly?

Respectech

Postby Respectech » 28.07.2014 19:33:22

I running on Windows 8 64-bit (not 8.1).

AltME from Safeworlds.com always switches desktops unless it is minimized. When I switch from one desktop to the other, AltME switches right along with me. If I have multiple AltME windows open, they all switch. If I close a copy on any desktop, all the copies close.

Task Manager also always switches. Again, it only switches if it is not minimized. All copies close when one is closed.

It doesn't matter if I switch by keyboard shortcut or by clicking on the Dexpot icon in the taskbar.

Respectech

Postby Respectech » 29.07.2014 01:06:07

Awesome! Thanks so much for that info!

foobert

Postby foobert » 15.08.2014 18:48:43

Awesome! That resolves the last minor nag I've had with Dexpot. Donation is on the way for a fantastic utility.

bwood

Postby bwood » 24.12.2014 09:38:32

I had the same issue here. I opened 20 desktops, and there are 2 or 3 windows in each desktop. Sometimes there are suddenly many windows copied into 1 desktop randomly.

"run as administrator" does NOT solve the issue.
But after I choose "do nothing" in "Settings > Plugins and Extras > Behavior of windows on other desktops.", then, everything works like a charm.

Hope this could help somebody as a clue.

necro

Postby necro » 06.09.2015 07:20:01

Any ideas on how to solve this? I tried using it as Administrator and I tried changing the plugin options to "do nothing" but it still happens.

necro

Postby necro » 10.09.2015 19:56:16

I think this is fixed now, I made the changes and it wasn't working at first but after a reboot it seems ok.

Return to “Support”