Win8 problem (hot corners block the plugin mouse events)

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
win8

Win8 problem (hot corners block the plugin mouse events)

Postby win8 » 11.07.2012 14:19:18

hello,

I would like to report a problem in win8.

It's not dexports fault, but sadly you can't deaktivate win8 own (useless!!) hot corners (charms bar for example), you can't use the mouse event plugin from dexport for switching desktops etc.

maybe there is a workaround or a way to disable win8s own hot corners?

Patrick
Developer

Re: Win8 problem (hot corners block the plugin mouse events)

Postby Patrick » 13.07.2012 22:05:36

:dex:

Sorry, no idea if there's a way to disable the built-in hot corners. I only tried the Consumer Preview briefly, then ran away in horror.

CircleDock
Plugin Developer

Postby CircleDock » 19.07.2012 09:04:11

win8 wrote:maybe there is a workaround or a way to disable win8s own hot corners?

The so-called "hot corners" feature is part of Windows 8's Metro UI and you may be able to disable it in Display Properties. The last time I checked, there was almost developer information available regarding its API.

From a developer's point of view, it's worth remembering that Windows 8 is very much a "work-in-progress" and any specific Windows 8 changes made at this stage could well be broken when the release version becomes available later this year.

From a personal perspective, Windows 8 offers nothing new for me but it might if I were a tablet/mobile user as Metro has been specifically engineered for that growing market. But beneath the hood, there's precious little difference between it and Windows 7 - the core operating system is 99.9% the same. For that reason, Corporate users will probably not be in any hurry to upgrade their PCs - many of them skipped Windows Vista and went straight from XP to Windows 7; there are, however, many corporates still using XP (much to Microsoft's chagrin). (Mind you, I rarely run Windows natively these days, preferring Linux, and when I do so, it's in a Virtual Machine - and yes, with Dexpot!)

selden
Beta Tester

Postby selden » 19.07.2012 14:31:14

Win8 is no longer a "work in progress".

It is extremely unlikely that the Windows 8 user interface will change from what's in the Release Preview. RTM is scheduled to be a couple of weeks from now, shipping to OEMs by the end of August. Public release is scheduled for October 26.

See http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407330,00.asp and many other articles describing Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference.
Selden

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 19.07.2012 14:44:02

:dex:,

selden wrote:It is extremely unlikely that the Windows 8 user interface will change from what's in the Release Preview.

not.
While a few of these visual changes are hinted at in the upcoming Release Preview, most of them will not yet be publicly available. You’ll see them all in the final release of Windows 8!

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012 ... ience.aspx
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

CircleDock
Plugin Developer

Postby CircleDock » 20.07.2012 09:50:07

selden wrote:Win8 is no longer a "work in progress".

It is extremely unlikely that the Windows 8 user interface will change from what's in the Release Preview. RTM is scheduled to be a couple of weeks from now, shipping to OEMs by the end of August. Public release is scheduled for October 26.

See http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407330,00.asp and many other articles describing Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference.

You must have more faith in Microsoft than I! "Preview" versions are exactly that and the final version almost always contains changes and new features. That's been true of every release since Windows 1 - and, yes, I can remember that far back!

Return to “Support”