Win7/Dexpot doesn't notify for window changes in desktops

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
dkarr
Lachende Köchin
Lachende Köchin

Win7/Dexpot doesn't notify for window changes in desktops

Postby dkarr » 13.02.2012 21:02:18

Although I want my application windows separated into workspaces/desktops, I need the taskbar to list all of my application windows, no matter what desktop they are in.

This is entirely because I need to know if there was a "significant" window update for any of the applications, most importantly the ones not on my current desktop.

On Windows XP, with a different desktop manager ("sdesk") I experienced the following (useful) behaviors:

I had my instant message client in one workspace, and I'd often go off to do work in another workspace. If someone I'm talking to added something, it would instantly autohide my taskbar, along with the icon for that application being in a different color. With Windows Seven and Dexpot, I find that I'm often not noticing messages for several minutes, because the popup that occurs on a new message goes away in a few seconds, and if I was looking away or not at my desk momentarily, then I simply won't know there's a new message.

I have Eclipse in one workspace, where I'm connected to a process from the debugger. The process is running, and the debugger is waiting to hit a breakpoint. If I go to another workspace and do other work, when Eclipse finally hits the breakpoint, the taskbar unhides and the Eclipse icon is in a different color. Like the other scenario, I'm finding that with Windows Seven and Dexpot, I don't get this notification, and I simply have to check back in the Eclipse desktop every once in a while to see if it hit a breakpoint.

Is there any way I can configure either/or Windows Seven or Dexpot so that I get this functionality back?

Patrick
Developer

Re: Win7/Dexpot doesn't notify for window changes in desktop

Postby Patrick » 14.02.2012 22:58:59

:dex:

Have you tried the Taskbar Pager plugin? It highlights flashing windows on other desktops:

flashingpager.png
flashingpager.png (7.54 KiB) Viewed 1248 times

dkarr
Lachende Köchin
Lachende Köchin

Postby dkarr » 15.02.2012 18:02:37

Yes, but I had deactivated it because I started using the desktop preview window. I prefer to have 9 desktops in a 3x3 configuration, and I prefer to auto-hide the taskbar. Those two factors made the taskbar pager impractical. I will try it again with some alternative configurations. I have a feeling an updated window in another desktop will highlight in the taskbar pager, but I also think it won't unhide the taskbar, which will defeat the point of this.

dkarr
Lachende Köchin
Lachende Köchin

Postby dkarr » 16.02.2012 22:59:47

As I suspected, this doesn't really do much. It doesn't result in the taskbar unhiding, and even the highlight that results is barely noticeable.

Return to “Support”