Problems with modal dialogs spawned from other workspaces

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
dkarr
Lachende Köchin
Lachende Köchin

Problems with modal dialogs spawned from other workspaces

Postby dkarr » 01.10.2011 20:18:02

The only minor annoyance I have with Dexpot is the following scenario:

I have four workspaces. In two workspaces is a single window associated with separate apps. In one workspace (call it "A") I start a process that takes a little while. At the end of that process it will bring up an application-modal dialog. Before the process completes I move to the other workspace (call it "B") and do something with the other app. At some point the process spawned by the app in the other workspace completes and it presents the modal dialog. Unfortunately, something very unintuitive happens. The dialog is displayed, but it is displayed in workspace "A", and UNDER the app with the current focus. While I"m working in workspace "A", there is no visual indication that anything happened. If I now move to workspace "B" and click on the app window, it beeps, as there is a modal dialog for that window that I have to address first. This is very surprising, as I don't see that dialog anywhere, either in the current workspace, or as a thumbnail in the Dexpot panner (I don't remember the term you have for that).

If I now move the window in workspace "B" out of the way, I see the modal dialog hiding underneath it.

If it matters, my test case has Eclipse in "A" and Firefox in "B". I execute the "Check for Updates" operation in Eclipse and then move to the other workspace where I start doing things in Firefox. Eventually, the "No Updates Found" dialog is spawned by Eclipse, but it goes underneath the Firefox window.

The most reasonable thing that should happen here is that when I move back to workspace "A" and click on the Eclipse window, it should force the modal dialog to come to front in workspace "B", so I at least see it in the Dexpot panner. If it were to jump into workspace "A" at the same time, that would be even better.

igimax

Re: Problems with modal dialogs spawned from other workspace

Postby igimax » 10.10.2011 19:10:44

Hi

. I have the same problem with Dexpot v1.5.13 Build 1721 at windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1. also I have another problem which I thing It is relate to this problem.

. For your information, I change option (Behaviour of windows on other desktops)\When activating a windows on another desktop: to "Do nothing" also, But my problem did not solve!!! My scenario is like my above friend:

Scenario One:
--------------------

. I have a Virtual Desktop 'A' with some opened programs inside it, Then I will go to Virtual Desktop 'B' and start a program inside 'B'. That program will be calculate some thing and after some minutes it will inform me the results by showing me a dialog box.

. Okey! Now, at Virtual Desktop 'B', I will start some calculation inside that program and get back to Virtual Desktop 'A' to do some stuff. When the program finishing its calculation, unfortunately It will show its dialog box inside Virtual Desktop 'A' !!??!!

. This happen even when I change that option I mention above to "Do nothing"!!! How can I solve this problem!?

Scenario Two:
--------------------

. My second problem that I think It is relate to above problem is:

. I wrote a macro at an Automation program. Job of my macro is this: when the result dialog box at that program I mention above finish, my macro will close that dialog and take calculation result and copy it at some text files. But when that result dialog open at other virtual desktop my macro will not work correctly!

. In fact my question is: Can we control some windows with Automation programs at deactive virtual desktop or it is impossible?! and instead we should use some virtual machine application like VirtualBox to do this kind of jobs?!?!?

Thanks in advanced
IgImAx
Teach Others to Learn More (yourself)

dkarr
Lachende Köchin
Lachende Köchin

Postby dkarr » 11.10.2011 16:03:23

Where is that "Behaviour of windows on other desktops" option you refer to? I can't find it in the Dexpot options.

igimax

Postby igimax » 11.10.2011 16:21:57

Hi dkarr

Where is that "Behaviour of windows on other desktops" option you refer to? I can't find it in the Dexpot options.

1) Right click on dexpot icon at system tray.
2) Select Settings
3) From left panel click on 'Plugins and Extras'
4) From Right panel find: 'Behaviour of windows on other desktops' frame and inside it 'When activating a windows on another desktop' label you will find.
5) Change it to 'Do nothing'

. but even with this change, I still have problem like yours.

Good Luck
IgImAx
Teach Others to Learn More (yourself)

Return to “Support”