Problem with Alt Gr

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Miller

Problem with Alt Gr

Postby Miller » 03.11.2009 17:45:43

Hello, i have a problem when i want use the "Alt Gr" key.
When i have running dexpot's application, i can't use the "Alt Gr", so i can't write special letter: "#" or "@"; because i can't key for example "Alt Gr + 2" for "#" letter. If i close the application, i dont have this problem.

Thanks for the developed, its a great work, and best resgards.

Sebastian
Developer

Re: Problem with Alt Gr

Postby Sebastian » 03.11.2009 21:12:59

:dex:,

we were not able to reproduce the problem. Any hints how to?
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

Miler

Postby Miler » 04.11.2009 09:45:10

This problem only come when i want press AltGr + "1, 2, 3 o 4", but if i use AltGr + 6, the key runs ok.
Only happen when i use AltGr with a key that have relation with a desktop (1, 2, 3 o 4). So i put six desktops, and then AltGr + 6 can't be used.
I thougth that you cant reproduce the problem because you have another type of keyboard, i use a spanish keyboard.
You can see the differents keyboards in this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

Thanks for all,

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 04.11.2009 14:46:56

Open the Dexpot settings, go to ControlsHotkeys, and delete all of the Copy window hotkeys (or map them to other key combinations). I have no idea why AltGr would trigger Alt+Ctrl hotkeys, but apparently it does. We'll change the default hotkeys in the next bugfix release.

Miller

Postby Miller » 04.11.2009 16:21:57

Thanks for the repply.

I delete the hot keys than you said, and now i can use AltGr key. This answers me why notepad++ its copy in a diferents desktops when i am testing the problem :D.

Thanks and best regards,

Gobo

Postby Gobo » 04.11.2009 18:36:43

Patrick wrote:I have no idea why AltGr would trigger Alt+Ctrl hotkeys

That's because the "meaning" (on a system level: key code) of AltGr under Windows (here: XP) is exactly that of Alt+Ctrl. On a German keyboard layout, both AltGr+ß and Alt+Ctrl+ß render the same result, a \. That applies to other AltGr combinations as well, such as @, €, ², ...
Being used to a more vegetarian operating system myself, it always eluded why the two Alt keys on a Windows keyboard behave differently in the first place.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 04.11.2009 20:07:17

Why Ctrl+Alt shouldn't be used as a shortcut modifier

Still doesn't make any sense to me. It's definitely not a hardware necessity, since Ctrl+Alt and AltGr have distinct behavior on my thinkpad running a more... (insert adjective describing a penguin here) operating system. I have Ctrl+Alt+2 as a hotkey but can still type ². Also ³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹.

gojensen

Postby gojensen » 01.07.2015 14:17:20

Hey - very old post - but this issue is bugging me terribly on Dexpot 1.6.14 build 2439 running on Windows 8.1.

I use Alt+1 etc. to shift desktops...
I use Alt+Shift+1 etc. to move windows...

However, using a Norwegian QWERTY keyboard I need to use Alt-GR keys sometimes as all but the 1 key has special characters I need to use assosciated with ALT-GR. (like @£$ ... first in all user accounts and emails :) the last in several of our server passwords...)

I don't have any hotkeys assosciated with copy though. Why won't Dexpot differentiate between Alt and Alt-GR keys? This seems to happen when I'm working with remote desktop sessions though...

Return to “Support”