Old man easily confused

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
lblackwolf

Old man easily confused

Postby lblackwolf » 24.04.2008 22:26:57

I know it doesn't make much sense, I seldom do.
Anyway, my problems,
#1: I set dexpot to scroll dt to dt and it does, once or twice then nada.
#2: I followed the directions as best I could, I have 6 dt's,
the first 4 have wallpaper, last 2 are blank.
DT 1 has all my shortcut icins, I did the copy/paste thing to "all desktops" noth'n.
Went back and did hi-light all, Ctrl drag em all to "all desktops" again,
So, now I have dt 1 my layout
dt 2 has the icons but scrambled, sort em out, use "Icon restore,save icon layout" and they scramble when I switch dt again.
dt 3 nothing
dt 4 in alphabetic order down the left side of screen
dt 5 nothing
dt 6, see dt 4

So, can someone try to help me thru one or the other please, tia, Logan
One is the loneliest number, but Faye still has plenty of SPIRIT!!

Nebel
Beta Tester

Postby Nebel » 24.04.2008 22:32:39

Hi,

maybe this helps: http://dexpot.de/doku.php?id=en:hilfe:grundlagen:icons

Important! Save your profile under a different name as the default one.

Regards
Schöne Grüße
Nebel

lblackwolf

Postby lblackwolf » 24.04.2008 22:46:46

Nebel wrote:Hi,

maybe this helps: http://dexpot.de/doku.php?id=en:hilfe:grundlagen:icons

Important! Save your profile under a different name as the default one.

Regards

Hi Nebel, yes, saved everything under "my default". I used the directions from that page,

If you want to move an icon from one desktop to another, first choose the desktop the icon is currently on from the desktops bar on the left hand side of the window. Choose the icon you want to move, select it, and drag it with the mouse onto the desired target desktop in the desktops bar. As an alternative, you can also right-click the respective icon, and choose the target desktop from the Move submenu of the context menu being displayed. The icon will now be removed from the source desktop and added to the target desktop at the same location. Both ways of course also work when multiple icons are selected.

In case an icon should be assigned to multiple desktops, it needs to be copied. This can be done in the same way as moving icons between desktops, with the difference that you need to keep the Ctrl-key pressed while dragging with the mouse 1). You may also use the Copy submenu of the context menu, which also contains the entry All desktops to copy the selected icon(s) to all desktops at once. If an entry in the Copy menu is grayed out, the selected icon is already on that desktop.
That's how I got the mess I have now.

Nebel
Beta Tester

Postby Nebel » 25.04.2008 10:40:28

Hi,

you copied the icons the right way. I've no idea why they don't want to go to other dt's.

Unsorted icons most time are a result of windows' Auto arrange function.
You did this step of the FAQ?
please make sure that the Windows function Auto arrange and Align to grid mentioned above are disabled

What, if you disable Dexpot function Customize desktop icons an enable it again? Or reinstall Dexpot?

Maybe you have to start sorting the icons again :(
Schöne Grüße

Nebel

lblackwolf

Postby lblackwolf » 25.04.2008 18:38:51

Nebel wrote:Hi,

you copied the icons the right way. I've no idea why they don't want to go to other dt's.

Unsorted icons most time are a result of windows' Auto arrange function.
You did this step of the FAQ?
please make sure that the Windows function Auto arrange and Align to grid mentioned above are disabled

What, if you disable Dexpot function Customize desktop icons an enable it again? Or reinstall Dexpot?

Maybe you have to start sorting the icons again :(

Hi Nebel, I never use the "Windows function Auto arrange and Align to grid" since I do use the utility "Icon Restore"
Played with for a couple of hrs. last night and got nowhere. I think I'll just leave it for now untill my nephew( he's a freelance IT troubleshooter) has a free night and have him look at it. Sent him the url for dexpot so he'll play with it some before he gets to my box.
Thanks for the help though, probably turn out that it's some other program I'm already running. But anyway, I'll
be round the forum now and then, might be something I learn from this helps someone else, stranger things happen, Logan

Return to “Support”