Window resizing on desktop switch

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
traycerb
Beta Tester

Window resizing on desktop switch

Postby traycerb » 24.02.2020 00:16:04

I have an application (Epic) running through a Citrix receiver (wfica32.exe) which I have assigned to one of my desktops. I have multiple monitors, and the application's window size usually spans the monitors.

After switching to a different desktop, and returning back to my original desktop, I find that the app has changed its size to fit within a single monitor.

I don't think this a problem of Dexpot per se, I think the application resizes in response to what it perceives is a change in resolution or something. The question is, is it possible to prevent it from happening? Having to resize the window after every desktop switch increases the friction for desktop switching, and I find I just end up bringing all my applications to that one desktop.

Sebastian
Developer

Re: Window resizing on desktop switch

Postby Sebastian » 20.03.2020 15:03:07

:dex:,

please add Epic's *.exe to your mywechsel.ini (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1915) and set it to '=move'. Please restart both Dexpot and Epic to see if it helps.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

traycerb
Beta Tester

Postby traycerb » 20.03.2020 20:16:30

thanks for the guidance. I tried this and wasn't able to get it to work. I tried in both the mywechsel.ini and wechsel.ini files. I had previously assigned the application to a desktop, and I removed that, but no luck. I also tried using the .exe's full file path (as used in my .dxp file for the desktop assignment), and that didn't work either.

Sounds like it is not possible, unless you have any other ideas. Thanks for helping in any case!

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 21.03.2020 12:40:05

can you please provide a *.log file (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1911) covering the issue?
Best regards (wave)

traycerb
Beta Tester

Postby traycerb » 23.03.2020 09:27:11

Your request prompted me to try debugging the issue in more detail using the log. I figured out the issue, though I didn't need the log per se.

When I switch to one desktop, to have a desktop with minimal distractions, I also hide the taskbar ("Configure Desktops > MyDesktop#3 > Tools > Hide Desktop Components > Taskbar"). Hiding the taskbar is what prompts the the other application to resize itself. Switching between desktops where the Taskbar setting is unchanged causes no issues.

I think preventing this would be outside the scope of Dexpot. But I did (re-)learn the lesson on getting a clean reproduction of an issue with the default settings (honestly the setting is so ingrained I forgot to consider it). Thanks again.

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 23.03.2020 18:15:03

traycerb wrote:I think preventing this would be outside the scope of Dexpot.

indeed. Thanks for your response.
Best regards (wave)

Return to “Support”