Wierd drawing problem

Post any technical problems or questions you have while using or configuring Dexpot.
Bug-Tracker
Sapinto

This happens to me too.

Postby Sapinto » 25.04.2007 18:21:16

For me it seems to be contextualized menu shadows. I have turned off the XP window 'shadow' but I still get things like menu outlines. They have often come up as a solid block on my screen. It gets to the point I have to close Dexpot (which I hate doing) and start closing my applications until I get the artifacts to go away.

Is there any solution to this?

Re: This happens to me too.

Postby Guest » 27.04.2007 04:33:32

In my situation, it seems to be a Rule based issue. I have a rule to run my IDE on desktop 2. For some reason, it seems to open that IDE on the currently active desktop (say desktop 3) ignoring the rule.

When I then try to activate, say, the Windows menu (alt+space) while on desktop 3, the window appears briefly then disappears (to desktop 2 I'm guessing). When I switch back to desk top 2, I see the "instances" of where the menu had been activated from desktop 3 appearing as drop shadows on desktop 2

Great looking product, but a little flakey in this (1.4) release unfortunately. Looking forward to the next service pack!

hth.[/img]

opusman

Postby opusman » 01.05.2007 23:59:30

I get this too quite often, most usually from tooltips. I have learnt not to switch desktops when there is a tooltip visible on the screen but sometimes I forget :?

Cackos

Postby Cackos » 27.07.2007 15:20:09

Yup, I have it also, it's very annoying. I get the Start Menu sometimes and also other window frames. I believe some of them are windows that somehow did not close properly, because they are not running anymore but still can be seen on the "Desktop Preview" application. In this application, they are shown as windows with no title and can be closed within the Desktop Preview menu.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 27.07.2007 19:12:23

Nabend. :dex:

Cackos wrote:I believe some of them are windows that somehow did not close properly.

In fact, all of them are. :wink:

The problem should be fixed in the current development version. (Not exactly shure though when we'll find the time to get it released.)

--

Geoff

eliminating menu artifacts

Postby Geoff » 07.12.2007 00:43:46

can we download the "current development release" from someplace? I love Dexpot, but these menu artifacts are causing troubles.

Patrick
Developer

Postby Patrick » 07.12.2007 18:59:56

Duns

Postby Duns » 30.01.2008 10:47:53

Doesn't fix the problem for me (Vista Business with Aero on).

To fix it without the need of reboot or logout : switch from 32bits to 16 bits color and go back to 32bits via Display settings.

Anyway, thanx for this great piece of software

Regards

a user

found a solution

Postby a user » 19.03.2008 22:34:10

Neither changing the desktop bitdepth, nor use of dev version 484 fixed it for me.

But this little utility called WinLister did:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/winlister.html

Those "shadows" are windows that show up in WinLister as class SysShadow owned by program Dexpot. When one occurs, find and select it in WinLister, and press F6 to "close the selected window."

God bless both Dexpot AND WinLister.

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 19.03.2008 22:55:19

This is the same we do when adding a rule that closes SysShadow. You don't need WinLister for that.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

mike

Postby mike » 27.06.2008 21:01:18

Can you tell us the steps to make the rule?

Alceste

is this how to do it? More info neded

Postby Alceste » 23.07.2008 12:10:28

Desktop Windows > Lost
shows all the running items, but how does one identify the offending one?

NiceGuy

Postby NiceGuy » 27.07.2008 19:16:26

i have been having this problem too.

right click dexpot icon, go to desktop windows, on the left bar click on preview. the problem window does not have a name on it, unlike your other running apps. right click on it > close > everywhere.

vwal

Re: Wierd drawing problem

Postby vwal » 09.09.2015 23:58:58

Many years later...

This is happening to me consistently with modern Opera, up-to-date Dexpot, on Windows 8.1 x64. Switching away from the desktop that houses Opera almost always leaves a shadow, which can indeed be deleted with WinLister (so that's an improvement, as until I found this thread I always had to shut down Opera if I wanted to get rid of the shadow). I'm on a laptop with NVIDIA 740M with latest drivers. I wonder if the desktop switching [animation] method makes a difference.. yes, it does! I've been using Filmstrip with maximal zoom for last couple of years, and just now switched off Dexcube, and now I can't get the shadow to show up with Opera on.

So is that an issue with Dexcube or with Opera, or both?

Cistoran

Postby Cistoran » 17.12.2015 02:33:22

vwal wrote:Many years later...

This is happening to me consistently with modern Opera, up-to-date Dexpot, on Windows 8.1 x64. Switching away from the desktop that houses Opera almost always leaves a shadow, which can indeed be deleted with WinLister (so that's an improvement, as until I found this thread I always had to shut down Opera if I wanted to get rid of the shadow). I'm on a laptop with NVIDIA 740M with latest drivers. I wonder if the desktop switching [animation] method makes a difference.. yes, it does! I've been using Filmstrip with maximal zoom for last couple of years, and just now switched off Dexcube, and now I can't get the shadow to show up with Opera on.

So is that an issue with Dexcube or with Opera, or both?

It's not an issue with Dexcube, definitely some weird interaction with Opera/Dexpot though. I have the same issue but Dexcube is switched off for me.

Sebastian
Developer

Postby Sebastian » 13.01.2016 13:42:05

:dex:,

vwal wrote:Many years later...

totally different issue, I suppose.

This is happening to me consistently with modern Opera, up-to-date Dexpot, on Windows 8.1 x64. Switching away from the desktop that houses Opera almost always leaves a shadow, which can indeed be deleted with WinLister (so that's an improvement, as until I found this thread I always had to shut down Opera if I wanted to get rid of the shadow).

Can you provide a screenshot of the Opera shadow? I've installed and tested with Opera 34.0 (hello, Chrome!) without success.
Best regards (wave)
Sebastian Brands, Dexpot GbR

Return to “Support”